Would you like to try out a Spitfire? If you are trying to decide whether a Spitfire catamaran is for you come along to one of our Try a Catamaran events. This is being run as a joint event between British Spitfire Class Association and UKCRA Youth. Although these events are targeted at transitioning youth sailors all Sailors regardless of age are welcome to come and have a go. The spitfire is for youth and adult sailors!
Try A Spitfire Dates
- 4th of May – Grafham Water Sailing Club – Topper Inlands
- 30/31st of May – Rutland Sailing Club – Feva Nationals
- 22nd/23rd of August – Grafham Water Sailing Club – Youth and Junior Cat Championships
There will be two classes of cat available to try:
- Topaz 14 – A high performance catamaran, with trapeze and asymmetric spinnaker which is a superb introduction to cat sailing at all levels. This is the current chose class for Junior Cat Sailing.
- Spitfire – The youth catamaran and feeder for the Nacra 17 Olympic class. A high performance twin trapeze catamaran with an asymmetric spinnaker. The Spitfire is fast, exciting, and fun. We have a growing fleet, with superb competitive racing all year-round at venues across the UK.
Our sailors come from a range of fleets – RS Feva, Topper, Cadet and Mirror as well as the other Youth classes. There is always help on hand for newcomers, and to help you transition into the boat, and develop your skills to Youth Squad level. We have an excellent comprehensive all year round training programme which can be found in the BSCA Calendar.
We are looking forward to the first session at Grafham Water SC on Monday 4th May with 2 or more Spitfires that you can try. Some of our more experienced sailors will be there, to give you help and advice and get you started on the water. It doesn’t matter if you haven’t got a sailing partner – we will help match sailors. Remember we actually encourage mixed teams.
Places are not limited. We know that you will love cat sailing in just a few minutes. We aim to give sailors about an hour with the boat, but there will be flexibility depending on numbers. Please book your place soon to be sure of a sail. You can book your place by completing the Try A Spitfire Online Booking Form on the UKCRA Youth Website.